The Centre was designed to help Parents, Teachers, and Interested Community -based Organizations, raise children and youth for living a sustainable lifestyle for the 21st Century and beyond, through Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) training.
So… What is Social and Emotional Learning (SEL)?
SEL is a process for helping children and even adults develop the fundamental skills for life’s effectiveness.
SEL teaches the skills we all need to handle ourselves, our relationships, and our work, effectively and ethically.
SEL is recognised as a deliberate intervention strategy in the child’s nurturing and socialization process to help them to build resiliency or coping skills to live successfully.
SOCIAL AND EMOTIONAL LEARNING FOCUSES ON:-
- Safe and supportive learning environments are the conditions that foster safety; a supportive academic, disciplinary, and physical environment; and respectful, trusting, and caring relationships throughout the school community.
- Professional teaching frameworks that define common components of teachers’ professional practice, which reflect multiple levels of teacher performance.
This intervention is the focus of a new group of educators called: –
- Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) Educators or Educators for Social Responsibility (ESR).
- Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) Educators we are largely influenced by the work of the Collaborative for Academic, Social, and Emotional Learning, (CASSEL) founded in the USA, (2003).
Educators for Social Responsibility: –
- Promote the re-thinking of existing education systems
- Promote and apply principles of education for social responsibility to the educational experience of children and youth.
the foundation for excellence in performance in academic, life, career and business must be rooted in early nurturing and training of children and youths in social and emotional learning skills.
- Safe and supportive learning environments are the conditions that foster safety; a supportive academic, disciplinary, and physical environment; and respectful, trusting, and caring relationships throughout the home and school community.
- Social-emotional learning is the educational process that focuses on the development of social-emotional competencies.
- Social-emotional competencies are the skills, behaviours, and attitudes students and adults need to effectively manage their affective, cognitive, and social behaviour.
- Professional teaching frameworks define common components of teachers’ professional practice, which reflect multiple levels of teacher performance.
These skills must be mastered through:
- a supporting partnership environment involving parents, schools, community and the nation’s governance structure.
- We recognise that existing traditions of schooling remain largely, inflexible or unwilling to change how education takes place.
We strive to change the traditional mindset of a focus mainly on education for work!
Rather we integrate learning with a focus in preparing youth for working for a lifestyle of sustainable and peaceful living.
This means: –
helping children and youth to be: –
- creative and critical thinkers, innovative and embracing of new and improved changes in science and technology for creating and co-creating a new world,
- focused on using, developing, and marrying liberal arts skills with STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) competencies!
- Embrace and create new ideas for the transformation of how life is lived and supported in this new and exciting times in the history of humanity.
- Use social and emotional learning skills to manage emotions, reduce conflicts, embrace, and foster social relationships and live the abundance mindset.
Education and knowledge transfer can and should seek to:
- encourage collaboration…integration of skills for greater efficiency of the systems that will transform our lives for the better. So we must: –
Forge and work through collaborative partnerships among: –
- the communities from which the children and youths come.
CRITICAL CONCERN TODAY
The Critical concern for parents and teachers is how to help the child discover who he is and How to: –
- Help him discover and grow his authentic and spiritual self.
- Engage him in learning strategies that will help him learn how to conquer fear, worry, stress and anxiety ·
- Encourage him in learning strategies for personal and emotional development
Based on Self Management— Self-control — Self-awareness —Self-worth— Self-confidence — Self-love —Self Esteem
- Engage him in learning strategies that will help him to become mental preparedness for success in academics, life, career and business through the learning of relevant life/social skills and competencies such as :
- recognizing and managing our emotions,
- developing caring and concern for others,
- establishing positive relationships,
- making responsible decisions,
- and handling challenging situations constructively and ethically.
- Respect for each person, despite differences in colour, race, class and religion
- how to build trusting relationships
- how to create nurturing relationships with themselves, others and the universe.
Other relevant skills to learn now, to be effective in social life, work and career:-
Critical thinking, problem-solving, creativity and innovation, collaboration and communication, Negotiation and Conflict resolution